Here are some of the commonly asked questions we've received over the years.
We've organized them by category so you can easily find answers.
ISSUE: Psoriasis, Solved!
August 14, 2012 | Accolades, Special Cases, Troubled Scalp
My name is Ann Charlotte and I live in Denmark and I am 45 years old. I just want to tell you about your fantastic shampoo: I use anti-flake relief shampoo because of psoriasis in my scalp and I have never tried a product so effective against irritation caused by psoriasis. I have had psoriasis since I was 25 years old, and I have tried millions of product but never so effective as your product is. So thank you for producing this shampoo – I tell everybody about your brand and off course of this specific product.
Have a nice day.
ISSUE: Oily Scalp + Thin, Dry Hair
December 7, 2010 | Damaged Hair, Dry Hair, How to Use, Thin Hair, Troubled Scalp
I am a 27-year-old man and have long brown hair to my shoulders. I’ve had a problem with hair loss since age 17, and my hair is thin, dry and straight. I also have an oily scalp, and a little dandruff in my eyebrows. A week ago I started to wash my hair with Anti-Flake shampoo, and I use the Peppermint & Avocado Shampoo on alternate days. After each wash I apply a normal conditioner on the ends of my hair; otherwise it becomes very difficult to comb.
As I’ve read on your website my treatment should be:
- Rejuvenating Oil applied with a hair dryer
- Peppermint & Avocado Shampoo
- Anti-Flake Shampoo
Should all of this be applied daily? Is it necessary to use the hair dryer? Is it necessary to use some conditioner or some other product?
Here’s what I recommend for you:
Once a week: A Rejuvenating Oil treatment.
- Apply the oil to dry hair and massage it in with your fingertips. And yes, it’s important to use a hair dryer to warm up the oil – heat helps the oil sink into your hair and loosens dead cells and debris from your scalp.
- After letting the oil sit on your hair for 20 minutes, work a dollop of the Peppermint & Avocado shampoo into your hair and then get in the shower and add a bit of water.
- Lather it up for 3-5 minutes – that will leave your scalp feeling cool and fresh. Rinse. Your hair should feel balanced all over.
Every day: If you wash your hair everyday, use the Peppermint & Avocado Shampoo or our Scent of Santa Fe Shampoo, which is nice and balancing and will make your hair feel softer. Finish with the Light-Weight Deep Conditioning Crème on the ends only and Rinse.
Every three days: Use the Peppermint Shampoo (leave on for 2-3 minutes) followed by Anti- Flake (also leave on for 2-3 minutes before you rinse).
Together, that regimen should get your scalp and hair in great shape.
ISSUE: Curly, Highlighted Hair + Dry, Itchy Scalp
December 7, 2010 | Damaged Hair, Dry Hair, How to Use, Troubled Scalp
I’m having a hard time figuring out the best product for my hair type. I have curly, long, highlighted hair and my scalp is dry, flaky and itchy. What is the best shampoo and conditioner to use? Also, which of your styling products do you recommend for a quick style and go? (I usually wash my hair, apply a leave in conditioner, a styling product such as AG Recoil, then hairspray, and let it airdry.) I’m looking for a simple routine that controls my curls and stops them from turning frizzy, bushy or crunchy.
The best thing for you would be a Rejuvenating Oil treatment.
- Put a generous amount directly on your hair and scalp (your hair should be dry) and massage it in to help dismantle the cells and flakes. Use a blow dryer to warm up the oil and help sink more deeply into your hair.
- After 15-20 minutes, apply some Peppermint & Avocado Clarifying Shampoo on top and massage it in for 3-5 minutes. Then get in the bath or shower and add a little water and lather up to break down any excess oil: Your hair will hold on to the moisture it needs.
- Follow with my Anti-Flake Relief Shampoo. It’s even more effective when used after the Peppermint Clarifying Shampoo, and it contains a moisturizing aloe complex. Together, that should take care of your scalp problems.
- Use the Light-Weight Deep Conditioning Crème Rinse on the ends.
- Also, the pH Detangling Toning Mist spray is a really important product for you – it corrects the pH of tap water and makes your hair and scalp feel good.
- As for styling: Crème of the Crop “Lite” is great for curly hair. Just rub a dab between your palms, run it through damp hair, style your hair with your fingertips and let it air dry. Your curls should come out springy, soft and shiny.
ISSUE: Sebhorreic Dermatitis
March 25, 2010 | Special Cases, Troubled Scalp
I’d like to try Philip B. products but I have a question about your return policy. I have sebhorreic dermatitis on my scalp and face and can only use a very limited range of products (I’m currently using some Japanese hair salon brands and Nioxin). In case I get a reaction to your products, what is return policy?
First off , here’s what I recommend for you: Anti-Flake Relief Shampoo, Peppermint & Avocado Shampoo, Scent of Santa Fe Shampoo, Rejuvenating Oil & pH Restorative Detangling Toning Mist. Please consider purchasing the 2 fl oz/60ml sized product (where applicable) to ascertain your reaction before you buy a larger size.
I’d start with the Rejuvenating Oil to loosen any dead cells on your scalp and condition your hair. Next, work some Peppermint & Avocado shampoo into your hair and scalp. Let the lather sit on your head for a couple of minutes so the therapeutic ingredients can do their work, then rinse. Follow immediately with the Anti-Flake Relief Shampoo. (Again, let the lather sink in for a couple of minutes before rinsing.) Our products are made with active levels of healing ingredients and have a proven track record for healing. Please do keep in touch and let us know how the products worked for you.
In the meantime, here’s our official Returns & Exchange policy:
We hope that you are satisfied with your Philip B® product(s). However, if you are not completely satisfied, you may return or exchange your product(s), along with the receipt, within thirty days of purchase to:
Philip B. Inc
2630 Townsgate Rd. Suite H
Westlake Village, CA 91361
Depending on the value of the product(s) being returned or exchanged, you should consider insuring your shipment. Philip B® is not responsible for lost items returned to us.
Refunds: You must return Philip B® product(s) to the original retail point of purchase. We cannot grant refunds for returned product(s) not purchased through www.PhilipB.com. Product(s) purchased through www.PhilipB.com may not be returned or exchanged at retail locations that sell Philip B® product(s). Refunds will be made for the purchase price indicated on your receipt. Shipping and handling costs will not be refunded. Any further questions should be directed to our customer service line at 1-800-643-5556.
ISSUE: Problem Scalp, Solved!
March 25, 2010 | Accolades, Damaged Hair, Dry Hair, Troubled Scalp
I’m a stay at home mother. I started using Philip B Anti-Flake shampoo a year ago & my life has been happier. There has been such a dramatic change in my hair that it has made me happier, more youthful, and has made me feel better about myself.
Being a passionate blogger, I will make it a point to spread positive word about your Anti-Flake shampoo so that I can repay your company for making me feel & look 10 years younger with more flake-free & moisturized hair.
Seeing such a dramatic improvement in my hair, I have been paying more attention to taking care of myself as a whole. In a way, Philip B. Hair Care has helped me make my health top priority in life.
I hope many more Americans utilize Philip B hair care in their homes because I truly believe it is a miracle in itself!
Thanks so much for your letter, which cheered our whole team immensely. I’m incredibly happy to hear that the Anti-Flake helped you so much, and hope that you continue to enjoy the line!
ISSUE: Itchy, Greasy Scalp
January 20, 2010 | Damaged Hair, Dry Hair, Fine & Limp Hair, How to Use, Special Cases, Thin Hair, Troubled Scalp
I am contacting you in the hope that you can give me some product advice. I have a very itchy, greasy scalp although it is not flaking. My hair is also quite fine and coloured with a slight wave, and I straighten it every day. I have tried many products to try and alleviate the itchy scalp but have not yet found one that works. A colleague suggested your range but I’m not sure which products to try.
This is such a common problem, and causes so much frustration and misery. I’m going to give you the same answer as the gentleman who wrote in just before you did: It’s the system I designed for a dear friend with a troubled scalp like yours, and it has helped him and thousands of people around the globe. (A) Start with the Rejuvenating Oil: Run it though your hair and scalp and heat it with a blowdryer to ease your scalp dryness and deep condition your fine hair. (The oil molecules are so small that they sink inside each strand and plump it up, rather than simply coating the outside and weighing it down.) (B) Wash your hair with my Peppermint and Avocado Volumizing & Clarifying Shampoo. Leave the lather on your hair for two minutes so that the therapeutic levels of peppermint oil can thoroughly clean and refresh your scalp. (C) Shampoo again with the Anti-Flake Relief Shampoo. Leave it on your hair for 2 minutes so that the coal tar and scalp-healing botanical ingredients have time to do their work. You’ll get instant, life-changing relief.
January 20, 2010 | Damaged Hair, Dry Hair, Fine & Limp Hair, How to Use, Special Cases, Thin Hair, Troubled Scalp
I have multiple queries:
- Are all Philips B’s products appropriate for men or not?
- Almost all of the product descriptions mention the process of blow-drying in them. Is it necessary that we always blow-dry? Won’t using that much heat damage hair?
- I have a lot of dandruff, plus if I don’t shampoo for 2 or 3 days my hair becomes greasy. What do you recommend?
- What products should I use to increase my hair’s volume and thickness and thicker and fill in weak spots?
I know these are a lot of queries but I am just confused…..
Thanks for all your questions!
- Yes, all of my products work equally well on men and women.
- No, you don’t need to blow-dry your hair to make the products work. (I never blow-dry my hair, for instance.) And yes, too much heat-styling can damage hair. If you don’t feel the need to blow-dry, don’t bother.
- Here’s my surefire dandruff-obliterating method, which has drawn letters from grateful customers all over the world: (A) Start with the Rejuvenating Oil: Run it though your hair and scalp and heat it with a blowdryer to help loosen dead cells and flakes. (In this case, heat is a good thing.) (B) Wash your hair with my Peppermint and Avocado Volumizing & Clarifying Shampoo. Leave the lather on your hair for two minutes so the therapeutic levels of peppermint oil can thoroughly clean and refresh your scalp. (C) Shampoo again with the Anti-Flake Relief Shampoo. Leave it on your hair for 2 minutes so that the coal tar and scalp-healing botanical ingredients have time to do their work. You’ll get instant, dramatic relief.
- To increase your hair’s volume and thickness, continue using the Peppermint & Avocado Shampoo for everyday, and the Rejuvenating Oil once a week. That should do the trick, and add shine to boot.
ISSUE: African-American Hair With Dry Scalp and Breakage
February 14, 2009 | Accolades, African-American Hair, Damaged Hair, Troubled Scalp
I just want to say thank you. I read about your products in Vogue magazine and they have changed my life. I’m an African-American woman with chemically treated hair and I suffered with breakage and extreme dry scalp for years. I started using the Anti-Flake shampoo, the Rejuvenating Hair Oil and the Katira Hair Masque and the condition of my hair changed dramatically and in an instant.
I no longer have dandruff, I have little to no breakage when I brush my hair and my hair is bouncing and behaving. I’ve spent thousands of dollars on special treatments, prescription shampoos and high-end hair products. In just one use, Philip B. products corrected scalp and hair issues that neither doctors nor top stylists could resolve.
As a black woman, I often feel that top-of-the-line hair products aren’t designed with my hair type in mind. I can say with confidence that Philip B. is perfect for my hair!
Thanks for your beautiful letter. It not only made my day, but everyone in my company’s day as well! It’s wonderful that Vogue has supported our brand from the beginning, and that you found us. I’ve made it my mission to create intensive rejuvenating treatments for EVERY hair type, yours included. And I’m glad that you discovered Anti-Flake too. That product has a following like you can’t believe.